The trend in web sites, specifically those based on the WordPress platform, is to use responsive web designs.
Responsive web sites are those that recognise the device being used to browse the web site. For example, if a user clicks in to a responsive web site from their desktop PC, they will see the full width web site. If that user were to click in using their smart phone or a tablet, then the web site would respond by resizing to suit the smaller screen sizes. The page width will be smaller and the various page elements will be stacked vertically.
Business Public Relations Group is now using a responsive design — the ever faithful WordPress default theme, which is currently Twenty Twelve. Browse this web site on your desk top PC and your smart phone to see how a responsive web design modifies the browser’s experience. Try it.
Around one third of visits to my web sites are now being made using smart phones and tablets, so it is important to use web sites that display properly on these devices.
I have been on the internet since around 1995. That was a time of pioneering internet activity, and I was part of it. As a public relations writer and a long-term internet user, it was logical that I would also experiment with blogging.
My personal blog started off in 2007 as a rant about anything I wanted. Given my professional work as a communications consultant, I published the blog anonymously — Rant, Rex.
As my blog evolved from a rant about anything I wanted, into a more informative lifestyle ezine with an eclectic mix of how-to articles, product and service reviews, and commentary on current affairs, I decided it was time to change the name of my blog. After extensive domain name research, Bloke’s Post is the new name. Both domains point to the same set of web pages.
Please do not expect boring professional business writing if you visit these pages. The pages explore many oddball topics, but surprisingly topics that people from all over the world regularly search for.
I am in the process of moving my businesspr.com.au domain name to another web hosting server. There will possibly be some interruption of service as the new server location is propagated.
If you are having difficulty emailing me or viewing the web site, please use the email address email@example.com or web site businesspr.com.au.
Update: This has now been completed.
Mobile: 0421 408 701
Please note Rohan Exton’s new mobile phone number is 0421 408 701.
All other contact details for the Business Public Relations Group remain the same.
Phone: 07 3173 1401
Post: PO Box 6046, Fairfield 4103
Please update your records.
Business Public Relations Group has taken positive action to minimise the impact of our business operations on the environment.
Environmentally friendly policies we have implemented include:
- do not print documents – view on screen instead!
- if the document absolutely needs to be printed, print double sided
- use recycled paper in printers and copiers
- recycle all waste paper.
- where possible, store documents electronically
- minimise hard copy storage and management
- tag line on e-mail signatures, “Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.”
- tag line in electronic document footer follower, “Please consider the environment before printing this document.”
- use natural light when possible
- energy efficient light bulbs installed in office.
- computers and network devices set to power down automatically after a period of inactivity
- turn off computers at night
- recycle printer cartridges.
- use E10 fuel in company vehicles.
- support suppliers that also take steps to minimise their impact on the environment (suppliers must still be competitive).
We believe that these simple and practical initiatives will help to minimise our impact on the environment. It makes good business sense too.